Canadian Utilities is one of the largest utility companies in Canada. It is a subsidiary of ATCO. By geography, Canada is its principal place of business accounting for 94% of revenues, followed by Australia (5%) and other countries (1%). The company owns regulated electric and gas distribution and transmission assets worth $22 billion serving more than two million customers around the world.
About 86% of Canadian Utilities’ earnings comes from regulated sources, and the remaining 14% is derived from long-term contracted assets. Canadian Utilities has core investments in electricity, pipelines & liquids and retail energy business units, as well as its international operations in Australia and Latin America.
Its segments are Electricity (70% of 2018 earnings), Pipelines & Liquids (40%) and Corporate & other (-10%). The company owns an extensive network consisting of 87,000 km electrical powerlines, 64,500 km pipelines, 21 global generating plants, water infrastructure capacity of 85,200 cubic meters per day, and natural gas and hydrocarbon storage capacities.