Fortis is a leading utility company engaging in regulated power generation, electric transmission, and energy distribution across North America.
The US accounts for about 60% of Fortis’ business while Canada constitutes the remaining 40%. About 99% of the company’s utility assets are regulated and it operates through regulated independent electric transmission (32% of 2018 earnings), regulated US electric & gas (33%), regulated Canadian & Caribbean electric & gas (40%), and non-regulated energy infrastructure (-5%) business segments.
Fortis’ assets can be divided into electric (~80% of asset mix), gas, and non-regulated energy infrastructure. It operates through 10 utility companies such as ITC, UNS Energy, Fortis Alberta, Fortis BC, etc. and serves utility customers in five Canadian provinces, nine U.S. states and three Caribbean countries.
Stock Chart & Metrics
- Ticker: tse:fts
- Sector: Utilities
- Industry: Utilities - Regulated Electric
- Market Cap: 26.45B
- Market Cap Group: Large Cap
- P/E: 20.40
- Dividend Yield: 4.10%
The competitive landscape is important as they compete for the same business. Below is the list of competitors in the same industry. While not displayed, a number of metrics you can also use to evaluate your picks are the Chowder Score, the Relative Strength Index (RSI), the Graham Number, and the Piotroski F-Score.
|NEE||NYSE:NEE||NextEra Energy, Inc.||148.38||25.66||2.28||NO||1||12||106|
|DUK||NYSE:DUK||Duke Energy Corporation||77.45||19.49||4.00||NO||1||12||106|
|AEP||NYSE:AEP||American Electric Power Co.||47.33||18.35||3.60||NO||1||12||106|
|XEL||NASDAQ:XEL||Xcel Energy Inc.||37.20||21.44||2.87||NO||1||12||106|
|ED||NYSE:ED||Consolidated Edison Inc||32.98||19.61||3.49||YES||1||12||106|
|WEC||NYSE:WEC||WEC Energy Group, Inc.||29.51||20.98||3.33||NO||1||12||106|
|LNT||NASDAQ:LNT||Alliant Energy Corporation||13.39||19.90||3.39||NO||1||12||106|
Top Picks by Bay Street Experts
Expert stock analysts have shared their opinions, and sometimes prediction, on the company.
For more top picks from stock analysts on Bay Street, check the full list of top picks by expect stock analysts from investment and asset management firms.
Not all analysts are equal and they don't cover the same type of stocks. The analysts performance and ownership is tracked for comparison.
Fortis - FAQ
What is the stock ticker for Fortis?
The stock ticker for Fortis is TSE:fts.
Is Fortis a good stock to buy?
You need to consider your investment strategy and how TSE:fts can fit in your portfolio.
The current dividend income score of 7/10 and dividend growth score of 6/10. Those 2 metrics together should help you decide the fit for your portfolio. Be it for income or for growth.
Is Fortis a Buy, Sell or Hold?
The Dividend Snapshot Opportunity Score of 70 out of 100.
The score reflects the strength of a buy signal but it does not show a sell signal if it's low. The higher the better.
A sell signal is more difficult as it often relies on the reason you bought the stock in the first place.